Skip to main content

Jessica Lea Mayfield's unapologetic "Sorry is Gone"

Jessica Lea Mayfield, of Kent, Ohio, released her first album With Blasphemy so Heartfelt (produced by Dan Auerbach, fellow Ohioan) at the tender age of nineteen. I missed it. I probably shouldn’t have. 

Her second Auerbach (Black Keys) produced record Tell Me arrived in 2011 when she was 22, 23 maybe. I listened to it. I heard talent. But somehow the combination of songs, performance and production didn’t really hook me. 

Never bothered with her alleged grunge-rock record, the two previous had been loosely in the roots-rock/Americana idiom, called Make My Head Sing. No Dan Auerbach. I don’t know who produced it, but Mayfield described it loosely as dedicated to one of her favorite artists, Dave Grohl. Not being a huge fan of the Zelig of contemporary rock, that dedication probably soured me on the project. Sorry.

For me and Jessica it was a matter of timing. The time is now. And the record is Sorry is Gone. Which is pretty great. 

Mayfield and producer John Agnello seamlessly blend everything from grunge to country, from shoegaze to folk-rock. Sorry is Gone is a song cycle, unified by Mayfield’s struggles with identity and confidence, emerging from the ashes of an abusive marriage. It would have been easy to take these volatile emotions over the top. Instead, Mayfield gives them precise emotional measure, placing distance between herself and her lyrics when necessary, investing directly when required. She sings elongated phrases, pauses in unexpected places, and falls just behind the beat, but it all works. 

Her raw state is expressed succinctly in the opener, “Wish You Could See Me.” The title sounds triumphant, but it’s followed by “but no one can see me.” She sings in a tired, languid voice, somewhere between Kurt Vile and Hope Sandoval. Completely in control, and still devastated. This make the second, title cut all the more victorious sounding. Sweet country harmonies are accompanied by a band that sounds more like the Cure or the Banshees. Mayfield’s wry, caustic way with words is in evidence - men are nice for “lifting heavy things” and “opening jars,” but Mayfield asks, “But should we let them in our beds?’ Leaving a bummer behind, Mayfield sings quite literally “Sorry is Gone;” she’s not a woman in love anymore - she’s a woman fresh out of apologies. 


Sorry is Gone’s supporting cast includes the unlikely pairing of Seth Avett from the Avett Brothers (with whom Mayfield cut a limited release set of Elliott Smith songs) on keyboards, and Sonic Youth’s Steve Shelley on drums. A number of guitarists, including the artist, contribute ringing, overdriven guitars, a sound all of a piece but subtly varied to the needs of each tune, from grungy on the Nirvana (“Sliver”) informed “Bum Me Out” to the Byrds chime of “Offa My Hands.” 

There’s a shoegaze meets metal quality to “Soaked Through,” ponderous but affecting; Mayfield’s feelings of entrapment palpable - “I tried to leave, he wouldn’t let me up, so I stayed a little longer.” The song’s musicality in harmony with the awful “me too” quality of the lyric. Emerging from emotional numbness, Mayfield asks “any tips on how to feel more human (asking for a friend)?” on “Safe 2 Connect 2,” a plaintive, acoustic statement of caution and longing. She has a beautifully unsettling way of couching the most desperate emotions in gorgeous shimmer, as in the concluding track “Too Much Terrible.” Mayfield sings “I’d cut off my hand before I cut off the rope” with a flat, but determined affect that lets you know she’s been through hell, kept going, and she ain’t goin’ back. 

Sorry is Gone is a tough listen in places, but it’s a clear-eyed statement, both direct and poetic, with music to match. A set of discrete songs around a central theme, performed with passion and empathy, produced to match. It’s a record of pained, transcendent beauty that will wear well, methinks. Not unlike collections such as Tonight’s the Night, Astral Weeks or Car Wheels on a Gravel Roada mature work from an artist who will continue to matter. 






















Comments

The people have spoken.

The Dream Syndicate make a pretty awesome new album. Let us now praise not all that famous men (and a woman) ...

  Let’s talk about the Dream Syndicate. They have a new album on Anti-Epitaph. You know, what gradually became viewed as Steve Wynn’s band. Until it was, well, Steve Wynn’s band and he had a solo career. Sigh. The guy has never made a shitty record. Some are better than others, but so are your mornings. Anyway, let’s talk about the Velvet Underground. You know you want to. Everybody does. They were great. Yup. They made a mindfuck of a debut album that set the template for everything left of center since. But damn it, in 2017 people get to have a variety of opinion about which of their four ( VU being almost a fifth, the others being live records) being the best Velvets album.  Among the tiny brain trust of alternative media, no such discussion is allowed when it comes to the Dream Syndicate. Nope, they made a revelatory debut (and their debut is most like the VU’s debut - not insignificant, since the Velvets were an acknowledged inspiration to the DS) - then it all went do

Cancer Rising, Goodnight Grant, So Long Jessi

A few weeks back my urologist cut something out of my bladder. A papillary carcinoma, I think it is called. One more box to tick off on my Medical History, one more reason I’ll never buy life insurance: Cancer. Oh, I’m alright. Doc’s pretty sure they “got it.” Of course, having a cam and a cutter crammed up my prick may be a little more frequent feature of my life. But, so it goes. It goes, that is, until you’re gone. Grant Hart is gone. 56, cancer. Jessi Zazu is gone. 28, cancer. I scroll through my Facebook friends – Jesus, lots of gone ones. Most gone to cancer. Devin, Greg – hell, so many. Shit’s in my family, too. My in-laws and my sister-in-law have had their battles with the stuff. My mom was lost to cancer, at 73. She’d be 100 in October. My dad followed her three years later; he was 87. He would have been 109 yesterday if he was from the Caucasus Mountains and ate lots of yogurt. Cancer? Nope. Heartbreak. It happens. Saul Bellow understood. Oh,

SPEW pronounces the 21st-30th best albums of 2017. Shazam!

21.     Wire – Silver/Lead (Pink Flag)           Wire are one of my staples, consistent and consistently surprising: https://spewrocks.blogspot.com/search?q=wire 22.     John Murry – A Short History of Decay (TV)          And then I wrote … https://spewrocks.blogspot.com/search?q=john+murry 23.     Whiffs – Take a Whiff (High Dive)           I liked it then https://spewrocks.blogspot.com/search?q=whiffs … I like it now.   24.     Aldous Harding – Party (4AD) Not that anyone asked, but if Aldous Harding reminds me of any of her contemporaries, it’s Cate LeBon. They both have this striking ability to swing from the confidential to the bel canto stentorian more than once over the course of an album. Harding’s songs, mostly accompanied by her guitar and piano, are koan-like without being obscure. Harding uses space deftly, yet her spare arrangements sound full, partly because her voice is so personal and pre-possessing. I’ve seen Party described as everythin