Skip to main content

2019 (Before I forget)


2019 (Before I forget)


2019

Records I Like the Most  Released in 2019:
Wives - So Removed @@
Fontaines DC - Dogrel %%
Kate Tempest - The Book of Traps and Lessons ##
Stella Donnelly - Beware of the Dogs ##
Peter Perrett - Human World @@
Mattiel - Satis Factory @@
Tough Shits - Burning in Paradise @@
Felice Brothers - Undress @@
Robert Forster - Inferno ##
Danny Brown -uknowhatimsayin %%



%%
Records I Like that Lots of Other Know-it-Alls Like:
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors
Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs
FKA  Twigs - Magdalene
Charly Bliss - Young Enough
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Refused - War Music
Aldous Harding - Designer
Better Oblivion Community Center - s/t
Black Midi - Schlagenheim
Cate LeBon - Reward
Raconteurs - Help Me, Stranger
Sturgill Simpson - Sound and Fury
Rhiannon Giddens - There is No Other
Bruce Springsteen – Western Stars





##
Records I Like That A few Know-it-Alls Like:
Mick Trouble - Here’s The Mick Trouble Lp
Titus Andronicus - An Obelisk
75 Dollar Bill - I was Real
Tacocat - This Mess is a Place
Mdou Moctar - Ilana (The Creator)
Joan Shelley - Like the River by the Sea
Du Blonde - Lung Bread for Daddy
Sam Fender - Hypersonic Missiles
Raphael Saadiq - Jimmy Lee
Adia Victoria - Silences
Lillo - Because I Love You
Nick Cave - Ghosteen
Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Bandana




@@
Records I like that were by and large ignored by know-it-alls:
Chastity - Homemade Satan
Who - The Who
Chuck Mead - Close to Home
Denzel Curry - Zuu
Toby Hay - New Music for the 12 String Guitar
Kel Assouf – Black Tenere
Fleshtones – Budget Buster
Bellows – the Rose Gardener
Offset – Father of 4
Mystery lights – Too Much Tension
NOX Boys – out of Touch
Sebadoh – Act Surprised
21 Savage I am > I was
Emerson Snowe – That’s Rock n Roll
Andrew Wasylyk – Paralian
Mike – Tears of Joy
Thea Gilmore – Small World Turning
Summer Cannibals – Can’t Tell Me No
Westside Gunn – Flygod is an Awesome God
Catenary Wires – To the Morning
Nicole Yun – Paper Suit
Josienne Clark - In All Weather
Comet Gain - Fireraisers, Forever!
Kyle Craft - Showboat Honey
Deerhunter - Why Hasn’t Everything Already Disappeared?
Ruby Fields - Permanent Hermit
Ezra Furman - Twelve Nudes
Future - Save Me
Cavemen - Night After Night
Jesse Malin - Sunset Kids
Lankum - The LiveLong Day
Flesheaters - I Used to be Pretty 
Headland - What Rough Beast
Murder City Capital - When I Have Fears
Jimmy “Duck” Holmes - Catfish Blues
Cass McCombs - Tip of the Sphere
J.S. Ondara - Tales of America
Redd Kross - Beyond the Door
Mavis Staples - We Got by
Emerson Snowe - That’s Rock ‘n’ Roll
Vandoliers - Forever
Yawpers - Human Question
Whiffs - Another Whiff
Chelsea Wolfe - The History of Violence
Queen of Jeans - If You’re Not Afraid, I’m Not Afraid
Kacy & Clayton - Carrying On
Joseph - Good Luck, Kid
Willie Farmer - Man from the Hill
Mekons - Deserted
Patty Griffin - s/t
Mavi - The the Sun Talk
Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
Young Thug - So Much Fun
JPEGMAFIA - All of My Heroes are Cornballs
Guided by Voices - Zeppelin Over China -AND- Warp & Woof -AND- Sweating The Plague by Guided by Voices


Comments

The people have spoken.

Cancer Rising, Goodnight Grant, So Long Jessi

A few weeks back my urologist cut something out of my bladder. A papillary carcinoma, I think it is called. One more box to tick off on my Medical History, one more reason I’ll never buy life insurance: Cancer. Oh, I’m alright. Doc’s pretty sure they “got it.” Of course, having a cam and a cutter crammed up my prick may be a little more frequent feature of my life. But, so it goes. It goes, that is, until you’re gone. Grant Hart is gone. 56, cancer. Jessi Zazu is gone. 28, cancer. I scroll through my Facebook friends – Jesus, lots of gone ones. Most gone to cancer. Devin, Greg – hell, so many. Shit’s in my family, too. My in-laws and my sister-in-law have had their battles with the stuff. My mom was lost to cancer, at 73. She’d be 100 in October. My dad followed her three years later; he was 87. He would have been 109 yesterday if he was from the Caucasus Mountains and ate lots of yogurt. Cancer? Nope. Heartbreak. It happens. Saul Bellow understood. Oh,

John Murry, gutter Gothic poet from Tupelo.

A call went out from central casting for a singer-songwriter. A particular sort. The call out read as thus: Wanted, man in black type figure, roots in the Deep South, profound experience with drugs and heartbreak, think Flannery O’Connor protagonist who time warps into a Lou Reed fan. John Murry applied. He got the job. All other interviews were canceled. Based on his previous solo recording The Graceless Age , his previous work with Memphis legend/recluse Bob Frank, and his resemblance to Hazel Motes … well, it was no contest. The first thing I had to get over about John Murry was how fucking much he sounds like his friend Chuck Prophet. I think they must share a larynx.  The second thing I had to get over about John Murry was how close in sensibility he is to Nick Cave. The American South and Australia have a lot in common. Most of it ugly, but damned if it doesn’t make for great lore.  Okay, I’m over it, whatever it is. A Short History of Decay is  a collection that ins

2019 - Six months in. These records don't suck.

In the first six months of 2019, these sixty-six recordings impressed me favorably. Some of them I'll rarely listen to again. Some will become old friends. The ten in bold stand out a bit from the rest of the pack. I haven't been of a mind to write record reviews for some time now. However, if you want my spontaneous two cent's worth on any of these titles, I'll be happy to give you a quick take to affirm, bolster my support. In no particular order: 21 Savage – I am > I was Kel Assouf – Black Tenere Deerhunter – Why Hasn’t Everything Disappeared Divine Comedy – Office Politics Stella Donnelly – Beware of the Dogs Dream Syndicate – These Times Du Blonde – Lung Bread for Daddy Willie Farmer – The Man from the Hill Felice Brothers – Undress Flesheaters – I Used to be Pretty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vppn_T5b_Lo Fontaines D.C. – Dogrel Fleshtones – Budget Buster Robert Forster – Inferno Better Oblivion Community Center – s/t B